Top 10 ways to achive high quality backlinks
A backlink is a link that a visitor on another website clicks to find themselves directed to your own site. Quality backlinks improve your search engine optimization and help drive traffic in your direction. A backlink may come from social media or from a directory, but they most commonly are located on web pages. The Holy Grail of quality backlinks is to land your website on the first page of a Google results page using a specific set of keywords.
What is a Quality Backlink?
Quality backlinks meet a number of criteria. A quality backlink comes from a relevant and trusted source, has a prominent position on a frequently visited website, perfectly matches the text that you are optimizing for, and is placed within a block of editorial text. Here are 10 ways to achieve high-quality backlinks.
- Outsource your SEO backlinks. A blogger outreach service will contact bloggers and website owners on your behalf to secure a placement, provide the content for the host website and embed links to your own website. Some SEO experts caution that an outsourced backlink is, by definition, not a quality backlink. If you use a reputable company, it should not be obvious that backlinks were not placed in-house.
- Relationship-building. Leverage social networking to build yourself up as an expert in your field. Follow relevant accounts on Twitter and like, retweet and comment on their posts. Post clickable, shareable content of your own.
- Guest blogging. If your relationship-building strategy is working, you will develop opportunities to write blogs for other websites that link back to yours. Make sure you reciprocate.
- Write and host compelling SEO content. Publish interesting, engaging content on your website that incites visitors to share. This helps set you up as an authority in your field and inspires other bloggers to approach you with reciprocal opportunities.
- Contribute new information. Perform your own research and publish an original report. You don't need to hire a costly market research firm; use one of the free survey tools that are available online, such as SurveyMonkey or Google Forms.
- Publish an InfoGraphic. People love to scan infographics because they are visual and easy to read. You don't need a degree in graphic arts, there are easy-to-use packages available such as Venngage. Publicise your graphic on social networking.
- Write testimonials. Write testimonials for products or services within your industry that complement your own.
- Link externally. Link to an external source on your website and then let them know you liked their content so much you wrote about it. Maintain contact and they'll eventually return the favor.
- Comment on blog posts. This is an extension of the social media strategy mentioned above. Don't just write, 'Nice blog!', make it specific, and mention the writer by name. Think of it as a thank you note for good content.
- Write a press release. Introducing a new product? Hosting an event? Having a birthday? Write a press release and tell the world. Send it to your own media list or submit it to a press release website such as NewsWire.
All of the above are long-term strategies that have been proven to work for other people. They won't put you on Google page one overnight, but you will gradually see increasing numbers of visitors to your website.